Pages

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Daddy Daughter Letter

_DSC4879.jpg

Dear Jocie,

6 months. Wow! The recent rate of change is staggering. You’re developing into such a sweet little girl. You have your limits. You certainly let us know when we’ve gone past them. If you’re hungry or tired, you cry. If you’re really hunger or tired, you’re quite clear about it. But most of the time you’re content to be carried around or even sat on the floor with a few toys to bring to your mouth for exploration.

What I think about when I picture you is the way your eyes light up and your smile when you see either your mom or me. After you see us, your eyes squint just a little, and you give a devilish little grin, as though you were up to something. It’s such a cool feeling to know that you know me and that you like me. I want you to know that I love you so much.

_DSC5086.jpg

You’ve just recently figured out how to sit up. That seems to help you feel not so alone when you’re on the floor. You do like to be around people, but you’re not so clingy that you can’t be left alone. You have a love/hate relationship with the cats. One minute you’re crying and the next you’re giggling over them. You love to be entertained by your brother and sister, but you’re not too fond of them when the entertainment gets more up close and personal. So you seem to know what you like, even if I don’t often know what that is. Maybe you’ll be a bit more decisive than your father.

There are times when this more decisive quality has brought with it a great deal of consternation. There are moments where your heart is set on being carried around so much so that being put on the changing table is met with quite the protest. Normally, you’re content with a diaper change, but at these times, I don’t think you understand what’s going on. You want to be held so much, you’re not willing to put up with even the slightest break. It shows that no matter how innocent you seem, you have a built-in selfishness. You want what you want, and that’s all there is to it. But I have great hope, not in you, but in the God who shows a grace that exceeds sinfulness. I’ll continue to pray for God’s intervention in your life so that one day I can echo John’s words, “I have no greater joy than to hear that my children are walking in the truth” (3 John 4).

With great affection,

Your Dad

_DSC5147.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment