Pages

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

It's official

There is no longer any debate or choice in the matter. I HAVE to start being fully prepared for my day before the kids get up. I just HAVE to. No more wimping out and not getting up. What follows in those situations is keyboard keys getting ripped out and food getting thrown on the floor - and more importantly and more directly connected - my frustration rising to an unbelievable level when those kinds of things happen. I think this is a two-fold issue...both of which require getting up more consistently.

1.) My kids are at an age where I really can't leave them alone. And I really need to have a prepared home for the day. (i.e. clean dishes so I can quickly make meals and find cups)

2.) I have to be more mentally, emotionally, and spiritually prepared for the draining task of training my children. If I don't commit to this task each morning, and daily ask for God's help, I am going to continually fail - like I did today.

So yes, tomorrow I will get up before the sun comes up. I will not decide to shoot the birds outside or ignore my alarm clock. I HAVE to get better at this battle.

2 comments:

  1. this is such a struggle for me too, as i am a definite night person, but it seems like i get so much more done and feel better on those rare days when i get up before the boys, even if it's only enough time for a shower. hope you wake up refreshed in the morning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was thinking about getting up early in the mornings (before my kids), I read some helpful websites. I may browse and see if I can give you some links, but the most helpful tip for me, besides all the motivating reasons to actually make it a habit to get up early, was to train your body to react to your alarm by instantly swinging your legs onto the floor and getting out of bed. It sounds silly and unimportant (the guy recommended practicing while you're awake, setting the alarm, lying in bed, and swinging out of bed when the alarm sounds, to train your brain), but the truth is, it's much easier and less painful when your body automatically gets itself up rather than lying in bed debating to yourself in a sleepy haze whether or not your do indeed really NEED to get up (it's really hard to convince yourself of that in the moment, and as I'm sure you know, it's SO easy to think of good reasons to get a little more sleep). You'll have a lot more success if you're so firmly convinced of the importance of getting up early that you don't have any room for debating and don't cut yourself any slack on the hard mornings. Make your body do the work before you have a chance to think about it, and from there it's fairly easy to get going. Especially if you have a warm beverage or something yummy to enjoy while you beging your morning...helps take the bitterness out of leaving the comfy bed.

    ReplyDelete