Pages

Thursday, April 22, 2010

"Reading"

A few months ago I made a list of words they could say. Now I don't think that is possible. I did want to mention a few of the more shocking things from the past few weeks. First of all, there are four books or so that the kids can "read" with us now. What's Wrong, Little Pookie? is a board book that goes through a series of questions between a mother and child about what is wrong. (It also happens to be the book that Audra read to Mackenna a year ago)

Each time the mother makes a guess, the child says "no." Both of the kids can now say "no" at all the right parts of the book. They can also do this with Do Zebras Have Spots? . They can say "oops" in all the right places in another Boynton book, Blue Hat, Green Hat. My favorite is reading Thomas & Friends: Go, Train, Go! with them. They are getting really good at different parts. If I stop reading and wait for them to fill in words, they can fill in many of them - such as hat, fast, slow, go, cow, moo, peep peep, dog. It is really fun.

They have also gotten a LOT better at puzzles. I'm shocked at the rapid improvement in this area. While doing a number puzzle with Mackenna yesterday, I decided to count with her. I said "1" and she filled in "2, 3." I then said "4, 5, 6, 7" without her really saying anything, but when I got to "7" she finished "8, 9." Craziness.

I've also seen big improvement (especially with Micah) in doing look and find activities, such as Elmo & Friends. A few months ago they didn't get the concept of matching objects at all - now he loves to look for certain items and find all of them in a picture. I especially like going through this book, because I remember a certain neice of mine also enjoying this book!

2 comments:

  1. Wow!! Your kids must have smart genes (as we saw from testing ourselves in "Brain Academy")! That's really cool, especially the look and find... really, WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Marie! It is nice to hear sometimes that my kids are on track - that is not always the impression I get when I read some of the blogs that I may reference in a few posts in the coming days. It is funny that you commented on the Look and Find, because I often think of you when we are doing it. They had no interest in that book before you were here (partly their age at the time). Your boys really liked it, and they liked "doing" it with you and them because the boys were interested. Their interest and ability to get it and do it themselves has really increased since then - I think partly because they saw it modeled.
    Oh - and as I was re-reading this, I realized that I should have said that in addition to saying "no" and "oops" in all the right places in those books - they can also say them in all the wrong places if that is where we happened to pause that day! Hee Hee.

    ReplyDelete