Pages

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Quarter of a Year

(Started on December 22nd...Finished on January 4th. That's what traveling over the holidays does to me.)


Dear Sweet Jocelyn,

For some reason, three months has always felt like a big deal to me. You are three months old. It sounds like an eternity. You are now a "big baby girl." I really am starting to know you more now. You don't feel like a stranger to me anymore. I am starting to figure you out. I am starting to know how you like to be held, what you like to do, what will make you happy, what routine works best for you.

You have gotten really smiley. You smile most when someone is looking directly at you, making eye contact and talking to you. You will give your gazing onlookers a big smile as a reward for their time. I think all your grandparents and two of your great grandparents were given the Jocelyn smile treatment during our time in Indiana. Your smile really melts my heart (especially when you give me a great big one when I come into your "room" to get you up from a nap or nighttime).  When you smile, your eyes kind of get all squinty and change in shape. It is a cute little thing that makes you you.

You have been napping really well, especially if you are in your bed (still your pack n play bassinet in your bedroom/bathroom). The sound machine is like a magic drug for you...there are times I feel like it puts you instantly to sleep. You have definitely transitioned from being rocked to sleep to being completely self soothing. When I try to rock you to sleep, it just doesn't work. I will give in and lay you down, swaddling you in Aunt Marcia's blanket, turn on your sound machine, and you usually go from screaming to sleeping within two minutes. I am happy that you do this, but I do miss the snuggles and the rocking. I'm not sure how this transition happened. I never really let you "cry it out" (at least not for more than five minutes or so), but you just kind of did this.

You usually get up for the day between 8 and 9. You are really really content and happy during these morning hours. You get a dose of Zantac (.8 mL) after your first nursing (This combined with my mostly dairy free diet really does seem to help you). Then you will usually lay on the floor looking at your toy gym or watch your mobile. Between an hour and half and two hours later, you'll go back down for your first nap. Then you'll wake up, nurse, and repeat the cycle. You are eating about every 3 to 3.5 hours. After your second nap, you'll get another dose of Zantac. You will usually doze sometime again in the evening, sometimes in your bed, swing, or carseat. You are less happy in the evening, especially if you aren't getting your way. You are getting less easy to take places like restaurants. Between 8 and 9, you get another dose of medicine, daddy gives you a bath, you get oiled up, nursed, and put to bed. You usually only wake up once to eat - sometime between 3 and 6 am. You are doing great with this routine. All that may change soon is giving up the evening nap and just moving bedtime back. I'm not sure what would be best for you...maybe I'll have it figured out by next month.

You are nursing really well. Most feedings you will now take both sides. I do think you are somewhat of a snacker. You will quit actively nursing when the easy milk is all gone. Giving you the other side will cause the same result. You seem to still be gaining weight, so I'm not too worried, but you could probably put forth a little more effort in this area :)  You do not like a bottle. You refused one in Indiana when mommy didn't get home from the farm in time to feed you. We'll keep working on this (halfheartedly). This is not a huge problem in my opinion; I would far rather have this situation than the opposite.

You have done some cooing and almost laughing - especially with your daddy at bathtime. You seem to love the bath and get really excited when you know it is coming. Cooing and gurgling back and forth at you is something your dad and I really really enjoy. We can't wait to hear more from you. And, based on your voice so far, we have a feeling we'll be hearing a lot from you.

When it comes to being held, you definitely prefer facing out. Not sure if this is because it makes your belly feel better or if you just really like to see what is going on. And sometimes you just prefer to not be held at all. I try to not take this personally. There are times when you are fussy and squirmy in our arms and laying you on the floor and talking to you or giving you a mirror to look at (you really like to stare at yourself) is what seems to calm you down. You like laying down and looking at toys so much that we kind of forgot about tummy time. We are working on fixing that now.

As I already mentioned, you do seem to be a people person. You also seem to have a pretty strong opinion - you have a pretty loud and strong anger streak sometimes. You also didn't seem to go with the flow in the womb. And you are turning into a talker. These are your dad and I's predictions about your future personality. We are excited to see what happens, however these early characteristics show in your life.

As always and for always, we love you. I loved having a baby during this Christmas season. We were busy and it was a whirlwind, but you were such a champ and I still tried to soak in as much of you as I could. Thank you for being my baby. I can't wait to see what is ahead - I'll stop trying to slow down time too much.

Love,
Mama

DSC_1127

DSC_1061

DSC_1247

P.S. Your one month birthday was spent in Indiana, your two month birthday in Orlando, and your three month back in Indiana. This has kind of put a damper on taking a traditional month photo of you. I have lots of pictures of you that I love, that show your personality, but not so many that show how much you are just growing and growing. Maybe we'll start now...but I won't make any promises. I love you, and I hate that you are growing so fast (size 2 diapers and clearly in 3-6 month clothes). Maybe that is why I'm not taking "growing up" kinds of pictures :)

No comments:

Post a Comment