Pages

Thursday, October 27, 2011

Disjointed thoughts



- My favorite quote from "The Help" so far is this..."Those bedrooms should be stacked full of kids laughing and hollering and pooping up the place." Who knew that we were doing it right the whole time!?

- I said to Micah today, "Micah, you can't tell Mackenna how to play. She is free to pretend however she wants to." Marcia was here and chimed in, "if you had a dime for every time you said that, you would be rich." She is right. Micah is controlling and definitely his sister's leader. This is an ongoing "issue" for us. Yesterday he said something like, "Mackenna, I am sad, but if we left the barn closed, I would be happy." We then worked out a compromise where we left the barn closed, but Mackenna got to play with all the pigs, even the brown pig. A minute later, Micah asked for the brown pig. When she didn't give it to him, he went off sulking in the other room. Mackenna so desperately wanted to play with him that she went and found him and gave him the brown pig. And today there was another comment about, "Mackenna, I would be happy if you would pretend to be a snake, but if you pretend to be a princess, I will be sad." Oh dear.

- Micah has really hooked onto the phrase "take a pause." Yesterday he asked me to take a pause from eating pizza and get him some water.

- When I asked Micah at dinner to look at my eyes, he started looking awkwardly at anything but my eyes - his pizza, his feet, the ceiling. If it wasn't so frustrating and tiring, it would be really cute!

- The twins got their MMR shot yesterday. The nurse asked which one wanted to go first, Mackenna said "me me" and hopped up on the table, didn't even want to sit in my lap. She didn't make one single noise before, during, or after the shot. Micah did the same thing. The nurse was shell shocked. I was very thankful.

- I think Jocelyn would like to be an only child. She doesn't sleep very deeply and the kids wake her up a lot. (Sometimes on purpose, like when they opened the door to my room, went in, and started touching her head in the bassinet. Sometimes just because they have no idea what an inside voice is.) This makes her fairly cranky. And she is 50/50 on the issue of whether she would like them in her face all. the. time.

- As far as sleep goes for Jocelyn, things are looking up. She took a really great afternoon nap yesterday and morning nap today, both in her bassinet. I have been using the sound machine, and it does really seem to help her fitful sleeping. She still stirs frequently, but doesn't fully wake up and dozes quickly back off to sleep. I also have been pleasantly surprised by her new ability to sometimes "put herself to sleep." She really wasn't doing this at all last week. Last night after she ate around 2 am, she was wide awake. She wouldn't eat any more, and Curt and I were really tired. He put her back in her bassinet, left the light partly on, and she eventually went to sleep. Yup, you heard that right; he left the light on. For some reason, if she is laid down awake, she is much more calm about it if it isn't dark. She really seems to want the light to be on. Weird. This morning after some wake time, she was starting to get fussy. I tried rocking her for a bit, but she wouldn't give in to sleep. I laid her in her bassinet, and she quickly dozed off. Yippee. She still isn't giving me any majorly long stretches at night (not giving me one long first stretch with shorter following stretches), but she is starting to go closer to four hours between nighttime feedings. Also, since I have been home, she hasn't had any long periods of just crying/screaming/awake/needing rocked/walked/etc at night.

- As far as sleep goes for Micah and Mackenna, we may be near the end of nap. I am hoping that this weekend, Curt and I can work on what it means to stay in bed and stay quiet, even if they don't fall asleep.

- At the risk of having cps called on me, here is a story from Monday. I'll preface it by saying that Jocelyn has since had her one month check up and is doing fine. I look up from the couch and see Mackenna carrying a "doll." I don't think much of it until a split second later when Curt comes running in and says, "Mackenna, what are you doing." Yup, the doll was Jocelyn. Mackenna told us that she had been crying and she wanted to bring her to us. Oh my. Oh my.

No comments:

Post a Comment