Pages

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Sleep, little girl, Sleep


Last Friday/Saturday night, I woke up at 4:45 am and I was holding a baby. I had no idea how she got there or how long she had been there. I think that indicates that I was a little on the tired side! I was then awake with this same, sweet, precious, wonderful baby until about 6:00 am. Around about 5:30 am, I definitely had to think...why on earth did I ever wake up to begin with, and why did I ever think I should try and put her down!

Jocelyn has some stretches where she certainly does not want to sleep in the middle of the night. These are hard on me. Last night, it was from 1:00 to 4:20. I am thankful Curt took a good chunk of that stretch, but it was still hard on all of us. However, each time I look down and see a little hand clinging to my shirt, everything seems to be okay.



Last week was rough for Jocelyn. She started having these periods where she will abruptly stop nursing, cry in pain, arch her back, and refuse to finish nursing. She really does seem agitated, fussy, and possibly in pain for about the next hour and 20 minutes or so. I will offer her a feeding numerous amounts of time during this period, and she will refuse. When the magic hour and 20 minutes is up, she will usually willingly eat and fall right to sleep. This usually happens about once, maybe twice, a day - sometimes during the day, sometimes at night.

Something is clearly bothering her during these times, but it doesn't seem constant enough for it to be a true lactose sensitivity or acid reflux. Maybe this would have been called "colic" in the old days. Maybe it is gas. I tried gripe water last Saturday evening. Maybe it helped. She had a better weekend and Monday - then came the three hours of crying in the middle of the night last night, so who knows.



Micah says the same thing, pretty much, every time he sees his baby sister. He consistently looks at her, and in kind of a high pitched voice says, "She's so little." I'm starting to wonder if he is saying this all the time because he is truly shocked that she is STILL little. If he is wondering, why isn't she big yet? Will she ever get to play cars with me?



No comments:

Post a Comment